Thursday, January 21, 2016

Nutritious Snack Ideas for Pregnancy

   A good snack will rescue you from a poor craving choice during pregnancy. It comes in like a knight in shining armor, taking away your hunger, balancing your blood sugar levels, and giving you the reward of a battle won!

   I have to make sure I have snacks on hand everywhere I go. I'll keep a couple in my purse. I have a filing cabinet drawer at work full of nonperishable snacks. I take some with me to keep in the car. Going on a road trip, I make sure to bring a cooler full of healthy choices.

   Sam's Club or Costco is great for buying good snacks in bulk! I highly recommend this.


My Office Snacks!
Here's a list of snack ideas that I'm using during my pregnancy:

1. Nuts, about 2-4oz; mixed nuts, peanuts, almonds, switch it up to keep it interesting.

2. String Cheese/Cheese cubes with a low sodium V8. One of my favorites!

3. Cup of Greek Yogurt

4. High Protein Granola Bar

5. Apple/Banana/Piece of fruit, I like to pair this with the granola bar, nuts or cheese

6. Raisins/Apricots/Craisins paired with the granola bar, nuts or cheese

7. Celery with peanut butter for dipping. Grab travel containers from the Dollar Tree

8. Veggies (Snap Peas, Broccoli, Carrots, Cherry Toms) w/Hummus/Greek yogurt dip

9. Beef Jerky Stick (Sam's Club sells a bulk pack)

10. Flavored Tuna packet with Cheez-its/Pita Chips/Some type of Chip or cracker


   This list is about all I do. It's simple but diverse as well. Usually, I'll pair a fruit or vegetable with a protein of some sort so I'm getting a filling snack that'll keep me satisfied until my next meal. With the Tuna, I usually eat it when I'm feeling light headed or "off" which I've learned is a sign I need some protein!

   Snack time is also a great opportunity to sneak a serving of fruits or veggies in, so take advantage of it! I usually do fruit in the morning and veggies after noon. 

   These snacks are also great for postpartum recovery! Eating smaller portions 5-6 times a day increases metabolism, and when they're high in protein, they also help burn fat which is awesome for getting back in shape after pregnancy. During pregnancy, eating frequent smaller meals will help with discomfort and heartburn. Sooo you can see how forming good snack eating habits now will benefit you after the baby is born!

  Here's to a healthy pregnancy and quick recovery!

~~Caroleena



No comments:

Post a Comment