Saturday, September 19, 2015

Pregnancy and Weight Gain

 

This morning I did what no pregnant lady wants to do...I stepped on the scale. 

Whether I like it or not, keeping track of my weight during this amazing journey of growing another human being is important. The more I monitor it now and stay in the healthy range of weight gain, the easier it will be to bounce back, as well as the healthier my pregnancy, labor and delivery will be.

Since I started at an average weight, actually a little more than I wanted to because my life was stressful and I said F**k it and enjoyed eating carbs, I'm looking at keeping my weight gain to 25-35 pounds. Preferably only 30 since I started out 5 pounds heavier than normal! 

Now, I know some of you might be saying "Ugh! Quit worrying so much about weight and just eat and be pregnant!" Buuuut, the fact of the matter is, staying on track is VERY important for labor and delivery, AND to decrease complications all the way around. Too much weight, and you have the risk of an overweight baby which can lead to C-section, gestational diabetes and preeclampsia. If underweight, you run the risk of a premature baby which can cause health problems for the baby or worse, be fatal. Here is a weight tracker to give you an idea of where you're at, and how you should monitor for your pregnancy.

SO. If I want to have a home birth, possibly with just myself and my family, then I need to pay extra attention to the "little" things like pregnancy weight. It's not me being vain, it's taking responsibility for my health and my baby's, while setting both of us up for success.

As of today, I'm sitting at 142(Yes! I'm sharing my weight, ahh!). My goal is not to weigh more than 145 by about 15-16 weeks. For the majority of the first trimester, the whole myth of "eating for two" does not exist(actually, it really doesn't exist at all). Right now, it's too early to be increasing calories all that much. Instead, the goal is to increase nutrition for the calories I'm already consuming, which I'll talk more about in my nutrition posts.

I will be setting up my Twitter account and posting pictures of what I eat as well as writing several blog posts about what I do for nutrition while pregnant.

Please feel free to leave comments and ask questions! I've spent many many hours researching pregnancy, nutrition and labor & delivery, as well as successfully having 3 natural, unassisted home births. I'm excited to share my knowledge and experience in the weeks to come!

Until next time ya'll.

Fit N Fancy for Life,
~Caroleena Kay


*****Please NOTE: I am not a healthcare professional, nor have I had any expensive, official college education on my blog's subject matter. I have had 3 children naturally, at home, unassisted. I was able to feel comfortable doing so because of my extensive research. I have spent many hours reading books (most written by officially educated healthcare professionals), studying websites, picking the brains of those who have had multiple children at home, as well as watching at home birthing videos. I am sharing my knowledge and experience for inspiration purposes! Please be responsible and do your own due diligence before deciding if a home birth is right for you.********




No comments:

Post a Comment